Monday, May 13, 2013

Rice & Salt

Today was the first time I got to see salt distributed with the rice. We travelled about an hour out of Posat, across some really bumpy road and a couple of rickety looking bridges to a temple and school. The drama team did their thing (unfortunately we had some sound glitches, but people seemed to respond to it). Then Pastor Setan said a few words, Lee said a few, and they drug me up to say something. I end up being 'made fun of' because when I stand up next to Setan, I'm pretty much a giant. It's all good.

Madam Kheng (I think that's how Setan spelled it) was our gracious host last night for dinner, and she was the government representative at this distribution. She has spent a lot of time in the US (Pennsylvania), so it was nice being able to understand more of the conversations. Because of her familiarity of the US, i believe she probably understood more than most what the project entailed. She was very appreciative of your generosity.

When we arrived, the rice was already handed out, but we got to hand out bags of salt. Right in front of me was an example of why this extra little thing is so valuable. There was an older lady sitting across from me that had a large goiter on her neck. The very thing this iodized salt is supposed to help prevent. I have no idea if the salt can reverse it, but nonetheless, it's nice knowing that the kids will be getting the benefit of the missing nutrient.

After the distribution we had lunch with Madam Kheng (2nd meal with her!). As I said before, very gracious host. I got to experience 'new' rice as opposed to regular rice. I understand this new rice is a lot more finicky to cook, and most don't like to use it because of that. It was delicious. Unlike any rice texture I've had before. Just thinking about it is making me hungry again. The desserts here are so much better IMO than in the States. You can't beat super-fresh mangoes, rambutan fruit, jackfruit, and sticky rice with coconut and banana. So tasty.



















No comments:

Post a Comment