Sunday, May 12, 2013

It's Sunday

We started the day off joining the drama team and others at the trade center in worship. There is a pastor that volunteers his time there (and his Western wife, didn't catch where she's from, but her name is Danielle). He spoke in Khmer while she translated. She said it was her first time translating like that, but I thought she did an excellent job, even translating his joke about her taking a long time to get ready that morning. :)

Then we ate lunch and hit the road for Persat. This place is known for its alabaster stonework. I thought alabaster was white, but evidently not all is. What I do know, is my bags are going to be a lot heavier when we leave than when we arrived. Why do the touristy souvenirs have to be so heavy?!

Over the last week, we've had a number of encounters with various wildlife. As I write this in my hotel room, I'm sitting on my bed, and over the bed is a lovely light fixture with what I'm sure is a dead mouse in it. Lets just say that standards here aren't anything close to what I'm used to.

This morning I got to see my first snake in Cambodia. It was just a little garter or whatever the equivalent is here. A boy ran out to the edge of the road and grabbed it right as we were passing by. I'm not sure if it was destined to become lunch or what. Also this morning I saw a giant praying mantis on our hotel wall. The thing was about the size of my hand. Normally we would see a bunch of geckos hanging out, which can be ridiculously loud for their size. I haven't switched car insurance yet though.

This evening we will be dining with another Minister (government official) and his wife. They graciously invited us to join them for dinner.

Please keep us in prayer. The trip has gone very smoothly so far, with just a few minor bumps. One of the drama kids, Sareth, burned her arm on some metal today. She'll be ok, but little things like that can turn into an annoyance. Debbie bumped her elbow and got a bit of a cut there today. She's also ok, but continued prayers are greatly appreciated.
















No comments:

Post a Comment