Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Day #2

Well that was quite the experience.

This morning started off fairly relaxed. Didn't have to get started until about 8. Had a somewhat familiar breakfast; banana, watermelon, fried potatoes, and a pastry with raisins. I was a bit surprised by the watermelon, as yesterday had fresh papaya (which was amazing). I've been told that this would be the last time there would be a familiar meal.

Then came another first for me. I've never really interacted with anyone at the country-level of government before. We met with the Cambodian Minister of Social Affairs at his office. It turned out to be quite a formal presentation. He gave a mini-speech, which was graciously translated to English for the handful of us Americans there. I was most appreciative of how he acknowledged and thanked the kids from the drama group that were there. He wanted to thank them for being willing and eager to help others. From the gist of what the translator was saying, it came across as that they were a great example for other young Cambodians to follow. So proud of those kids, and I've only known them for 2 days.

The Minister then presented Setan Lee (Transform Asia), Lee Michaels (Musicianaries International), YOU! (Positive Life Radio), and Jim McCandless (Musicianaries International) with awards for service to the people of Cambodia. He also presented awards to Cheryl and Debbie (who had even less time than I did to process what was going to take place) and a couple of the amazing assistants to Pastor Setan. Once I figure out how to spell their names, I'll update this.

We hit the road after that, saying fair well to Phnom Penh. We drove for quite a while, leaving the paved highway to get to our first rice distribution. It felt like the middle of nowhere. We'd come across a home (ok, more like a shack) every once in a while, but even those were spread apart. The distribution was at another one of these little shack-houses which serves as the local Christian church. When we arrived, there were a bunch of people already there and waiting. I don't know that I've ever seen more fascinating faces all in one group as we're here...and this is only the first stop! The drama team did their presentation (I hope to videotape that for you at one of these stops) and then Pastor Setan did a quick presentation. It was all in Khmer so I don't know exactly what was said, but a number of people came forward and he prayed over them. I'm pretty sure I just witnessed people accepting Jesus. /cheer!

The distribution itself was quite orderly. People were given vouchers ahead of time, so they came forward with their voucher and we handed them a bag of rice. People all the way from kids that must've been 7-8 all the way up to little old ladies that were way stronger than I would have ever guessed. Don't ever mess with a grandma!
After the distribution, we hit the road to get to the hotel for this evening. Along the way, it was neat to see people helping each other out. The ones with transportation would be carrying extra bags on their bicycle or motorbike for those that had walked to the distribution point. I was told that some people would walk from as far as a day away to come get the rice. The need is real.

Special shout out to Mao (Mou? Mow?) I really need to ask how to spell their names. He's been our driver, and the guy is amazing. He's gotten our big van in smaller spaces than I could ever imagine, taken it off road when necessary - did I mention someone had conveniently dropped a giant pile of dirt in the middle of the road? And managed to dodge more potholes than I thought even possible. In this country where driving is an adventure on its own merit, I feel completely safe with him driving.

- Ernest







No comments:

Post a Comment